Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management
14008320

Our dog is throwing up water. he won't eat days. we had

Customer Question

our dog is throwing up water. he won't eat for 3 days. we had him to the vet 5 days ago. she took x-rays and kept him over night. concluded he eat something he could nt tolerate. he did dehydrate so she gave him iv fluids. one day at home and it all started again. he drinks but won't eat. did poop when he got home, but no food, no poop. what is going on?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I am sorry to hear how Peanut is doing.Unfortunately, I cannot vouch for the other doctor's interpretation of the x-ray. But, if continuing to vomit, I would have to be suspicious for pancreatitis or some other organ issue. So, that means, a recheck vet visit including a basic blood test and maybe a blood test for pancreatitis is well worthwhile at this point.Vomiting causes can include:- Dietary indiscretion (eating something you do not know about)- Stomach or intestinal foreign body- Something that was given to them (new food, new treat, human food)- Intestinal parasitism (not just the worms, but the microscopic bugs like Giardia and Coccidia). They can cause vomiting also, not just diarrhea- Toxin exposure would be less likely, unless you have reason to suspect exposure to a chemical.- Less commonly, endocrine diseases like Addison’s - Generally, in older pets, I am also concerned about organ disease (liver, kidneys) and cancer. To help settle the stomach you can use of the following, but not as a replacement for veterinary examination include 1.Pepcid A.C. (famotidine) comes in 10mg, 20mg, or 40mg tablets. You can give it every 12 hours. You can give 0.5mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get 10mg. 2.Prilosec (omeprazole). It comes in 10mg or 20mg tablets.You can give in every 24 hours. You give 0.5mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get 10mg3.Zantac (Ranitidne). It comes in 75mg, 150mg, or 300mg sizes. You can give it every 8 to 12 hours. You give 0.25 to 1mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get roughly 1/3 tablet of the 75mg. Even with bigger pets, it is easiest to get the smallest size tablet. Even a 75 pound dog would only need one 75mg tablet. 4.Pepto-Bismol or Kaopectate You can give it every 8 hours. The average dose is 1ml per pound of body weight, and that is the TOTAL dose for the day.So, if a pet weighs 30 pounds, they would get a total of 30ml a day or 10ml every 8 hours. This is dosing for regular strength Pepto-Bismol. If you use maximum strength liquid, give half as much. Also, if he ate anything you had at home like his old dog food, destroy it. We don't know if there was anything given again at home that could be making him sick. I would not try to offer him any food for at least 12 hours from the last vomiting attempt or as directed by the primary vet. Good Luck!Dr. Andy
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 2 years ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Peanut. How is everything going?