Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog as well as the neighbors dog starting acting funny 2

Customer Question
days ago. Then they...
My dog as well as the neighbors dog starting acting funny 2 days ago. Then they started vomitting which was dark in color, seemed like their joints hurt, stopped eating & drinking, now she is having diarrhea which is bright red blood with a horrible odor. Her tears are red as well. Breathing is heavy & a bit labored.
I have given charcoal, pedialyte in small amounts.
What else can I do?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
7/12/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian
Hello, I'm Dr. Jo and I'm here to help you with your question about Pistol.
Are you still online?
You may join the conversation at any time by typing in what you want to say then clicking REPLY. That way we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided and are happy to give me a positive rating. I'm so very sorry this has happened, and you are correct to be worried.
While I cannot diagnose your dog's problem without the benefit of a hands-on examination, what I can tell you is the situation you've described sounds very much like what would occur with dogs who've ingested D-Con or other similar rat poisons.
Another very likely scenario that would fit your description is infection with parvovirus.
Both of those possibilities are very serious and life-threatening. The most important thing you can do at this point is get emergency medical attention for Pistol and your neighbor's dog. I'm so sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but this is a bad situation.
Pistol's best chance for survival - whether this is rat poisoning or parvo or something else - is with aggressive medical treatment. That means she needs blood tests and a parvo test at the very least to start. I'm afraid you've already done everything you can for her at home. She needs to be in the hands of professionals now.
I know this may not be the information you wanted to hear, but I feel compelled to be complete, accurate, and honest in providing you with the answer you seek.
It appears you are currently offline. I'm sorry I missed the opportunity to have a live conversation with you. Your feedback is very important to me and without your positive feedback I receive no compensation from the website. f you are satisfied with the information I've provided, please take a moment to ACCEPT my answer and rate my response. I've done my best to provide you with the most accurate, thorough and up-to-date information that is available, and your positive feedback is important to me. Without it, I receive no compensation for helping you. If you are not satisfied, please let me know how else I may be of assistance. Thank you for using our website.
Just checking in to see if you have any additional questions after reviewing the information I've provided so far. I want to be as helpful as possible.
You may join the conversation by typing in what you want to say then clicking REPLY.
I will emphasize that I want to be as helpful with providing information as possible. You've described some very alarming symptoms and I am glad I could be there with the information you needed at the time you needed it. I've been worried about Pistol and your neighbors dog and am hopeful they're getting the medical attention they need.
If you can take a moment to let me know how things are going, that's always appreciated. I know you're in a difficult situation and want to be as helpful as I can.
Hi Hann,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Pistol. How is everything going?

Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian