Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

I have a 4 week puppy that started with diareha this morning.

Customer Question

I have a 4 week puppy that started with diareha this morning. The diareha is clear to milky. There is no visible blood or solid stool.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 2 years ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.
The most common cause for diarrhea in young puppies is a workload so the first thing to do is to give a puppy wormer available at the pet store. If this does not solve the problem, then fast him for 6-12 hrs to allow his digestive system to calm down and after this fast, feed a bland diet of rice and boiled chicken. The milk may be starting to encourage the diarrhea, so this may be the best time to wean him. It is also good to keep him hydrated with Pedialyte every 4 hrs, a small amount.
If this is still not resolved, take a fecal sample to your vet since Coccidia and Giardia can cause this as well.
Does that make sense to you?
Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.
Sincerely, ***** *****
Hi Sebastian,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Sebastian Avelar. How is everything going?

Dr. Loretta