Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My 15 lb dog ate a whole package of Composure chews meant for

Customer Question
a 50 lb dog....
My 15 lb dog ate a whole package of Composure chews meant for a 50 lb dog. She's vomited repeatedly. Is there anything we should be doing?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
7/12/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!May I ask how long ago she ingested the chews?
In general this should not be a problem and none of the ingredients are toxic but more likely to cause the GI upset that you are currently seeing. If she becomes increasingly lethargic, the vomiting is not subsiding despite no water/ food tonight, or any of the other signs I list at the bottom then please find a veterinary er in your areaOne of the inactive ingredients calcium sulfate can have very rare side effects listed below so please monitor for any signs of the more serious signs:Common side effects of calcium sulfate:GasLess SevereSwelling of the AbdomenLess SevereInfrequent side effects of calcium sulfate:Feel Like Throwing Up Less SevereIncomplete or Infrequent Bowel Movements Less SevereIntense Abdominal Pain Less SevereRare side effects of calcium sulfate:High Amount of Calcium in the Blood Severe This will show increased water intake, muscle tremors as the primary signsKidney Stone Severe This will show increased water intake, urination, straining to urinate without productionLoss of AppetiteTonight my recommendations include: 1- Keep indoors to avoid eating grass/ leaves for 6-8 hours from last vomiting episode. So since she is continuing to vomit please remove all food and water until morning2- Offer a small amount of water (1-2 teaspoons hourly) for a few hours in the morning3- Start Pepcid (famotidine) 10mg 1/2 tablet every 12 hours OR prilosec (omeprazole) 20 mg 1/2 tablet daily for the next 3 days with the second administration of water (crushed if needed)4-If no vomiting, offer small amount of white rice and boiled boneless or ground chicken or ground beef. For example, one tablespoon hourly for a few hours then slowly start to increase the amount while reducing the frequency. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet. 5- If vomiting continues after doing the above, I would encourage having your family veterinarian perform an examination or a veterinary er to determine the next step to getting Mischief comfortable how best to do so Indications your dog should be seen by a veterinary er sooner include: sticky gums that are pale, yellow, blue, purple, temperature rectally >103.5, progressive lethargy with less responsiveness to you, vomiting or diarrhea that includes blood, resting respiratory rate (breaths per minute) >60, swollen abdomen.Please let me know how else I can assist you both tonight. I am on-line another 15 minutes to assist you If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!
Good afternoon, I wanted to check in on you and Mischief to see how things went after my response last night? I would love an update when you are able.
Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!
If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian