Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

I'm a breeder of Cairn terriers. I have one of my females

Customer Question

Hi ! I'm a breeder of Cairn terriers. I have one of my females giving birth to a litter. 1st pup at 3:10pm today, 2nd pup at 4:10. No pups since. She is still tight, probably at least 3 to 4 more pups to go. The only thing she expelled was a sack of clear liquid about 15 minutes ago. She seems restless and wants out of the whelping box. I've let her walk around the kitchen some. She's nursing puppies 1 and 2. Not sure how much longer to wait before something needs to happen. Should I wait longer? don
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
my phone number is............***-***-****
Expert:  Lisa replied 2 years ago.
Hi Don. My name is ***** ***** I"m happy to help you today.As a general rule, we like to see at least one pup per hour when a bitch is whelping. If they go longer than that, it's a cause for concern.Since it's been an hour or more now since the last pup and all you're seeing is a clear discharge, it's time to have her seen at the emergency vet. Smaller breed dogs can develop uterine exhaustion, meaning that the body wants to have the pups, but just doesn't have the strength. This happens most often with a bitch who has been in labor for some time.If this were me, I'd have her seen tonight...just to be on the safe side.