Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My dog ate some spaghetti made with sugar in it. he hasn't

Customer Question

My dog ate some spaghetti made with sugar in it. he hasn't thrown up but had diarrhea the same day. since then he has been very lethargic. he won't eat or drink. he usually eats to know end so we are worried. he even tried to poop but nothing comes out. & when it does its liquid.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 2 years ago.
Hello. It sounds like he has some colitis. This is inflammation of the colon. It's often secondary to dietary changes. To help firm up the stools and get the colon moving more normally, you can give him canned pumpkin. The extra fiber in canned pumpkin is good for colon health. You can give 1-2 tablespoons every 8-12 hours. You could also try some chicken/ rice or hamburger/ rice to spark his appetite. If the signs are not resolving, or you want them to resolve even faster, then I would get him seen and started on Metronidazole. This is the go to medication for diarrhea in dogs. I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 2 years ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about G.. How is everything going?