Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My dog is a terrier mix he weighs 16lbs & is 6 years old,

Customer Question

Hi my dog is a terrier mix he weighs 16lbs & is 6 years old, two weeks ago he got sick threw up 3times all water and did this weird movement...he would walk then lay down & stick his bottom up we took him to the vet & the vet said most likely his pancreas was inflamed due to something he ate....he was given a cerenia injection for the vomiting, and fluids to replace what he lost....we also started him on buffered aspirin which is for small dogs..we changed his diet to chicken boiled rice & carrots....then took out rice and gave him greenbeans for the fiber along with chicken....this past week he won't really drink water only some if I give it to him by hand and his pooping has significantly decreased. He will only go if we go hike for an hour and he'll go once or twice only..any opinion on this would help so much thank you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 2 years ago.
Hello. I'm sorry for the long wait. I would agree that this sound like pancreatitis. I think the lack of bowel movements is due to his decreased thirst and decreased water intake. Constipation is typically due to dehydration in dogs. I would try to get more water into him. You can try some canned dog food and then add extra water. You could also try going back to chicken/ rice and adding some canned broth to it. I would also recommend stopping the aspirin. That can actually upset the stomach more. When I need a pain med in these pancreatitis dogs, I typically go with Tramadol or Gabapentin. I don't like these anti-inflammatory meds as they can sometimes make things worse. I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.