Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My 12-yr old beagle has been panting heavily. she is on pain

Customer Question
meds Carprofen and Gabapentin. Could...
my 12-yr old beagle has been panting heavily. she is on pain meds Carprofen and Gabapentin. Could it be the meds?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
7/10/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Andy, Medical Director replied 2 years ago
Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Hello, I am sorry to hear about this concern.Super tough question. Why?Well, lots of causes for panting:- pain- nausea- endocrine diseases including1. hypothyroidism (low thyroid hormone and very common in older pets)2. Cushing’s disease (where the body is producing excessive amounts of its own steroids from the adrenal glands and also quite common)- Stress/anxiety- A primary problem with the lungs like bronchitis, pneumonia, asthmaSo, in this situation, could medications cause panting? Yes, its possible. But! If they are not satisfactorily controlling pain, that could be an issue as well. My other thought, at this age is for hypothyroidism (low thyroid hormone). So, you'll need to keep a diary and keep your vet updated. Keep tracking when panting occurs and for how long. Also, if not panting, keep track when panting starts after medications are given. There may be some coincdences to help you and your vet figure out what is going on. Good Luck!Dr. Andy
Dr. Andy, Medical Director