Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

My dog is panting heavy in the evening and no other time.

Customer Question

My dog is panting heavy in the evening and no other time. No thunderstorms or anything like that. Vet checked her heart, listened to breathing, moved legs for pain etc.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Panting only in the evening suggests nighttime anxiety. This is consistent with sundowners syndrome in geriatric dogs suffering from cognitive dysfunction but, of course, Geniuss shouldn't be considered to suffer from such a disorder at his age. Our affected geriatrics with sundowners may have trouble seeing or hearing which can be exacerbated in the quiet and dark of night. Has Geniuss given you any inclination that she isn't seeing or hearing well?
Is there something going on around your home at night that isn't occurring during the day - animals roaming, perhaps - a common cause of anxiety in our pets?
Hi Andrew,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Geniuss. How is everything going?