Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My friend miniature grey hound came in the from outside back

Customer Question
yard and was a screeching...
My friend miniature grey hound came in the from outside back yard and was a screeching and could walk on hine leg.
It looks purple and slightly scratched- vet ER has done an x Ray, nothing broken, MRI, no tears but is still in a lot of pain. They have mentioned cancer twice as a possibility and but coming up inconclusive.
They also mentioned a snake bite but nothing about the bruise and scratch. Wouldn't an animal have a bad reaction if it scratched itself on rusted metal too?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
7/9/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
I am sorry to hear about Apollo. I am a veterinarian and will do my vest to help.
How long ago did this happen? Is he getting any better? Is he on pain medication?
It is possible for some kind of wound or scratch to cause bruising, pain, and limping. Snakebite can cause a lot of swelling and bruising and pain.
Bone cancer should show up on Xrays and scans.
If this were my dog, I would be using enough pain medication to get him comfortable. Snakebites and spider bites can be very painful and the pain lasts until the toxin is metabolized and goes away.
If there is a lot of bruising, the Chinese herb Yunnan Baiyao could be helpful.
Let me know what other questions you have.
It's been 3 days thus far.
Could it be another type of cancer?
It seems odd that cancer would come on so quickly. The only way to know would be to do a biopsy of the abnormal skin or bruised area. Is is looking any better, or getting steadily worse?
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian