Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog ate 1/2 of my cats methimazole that was crushed up in

Customer Question
her wet food. she is...
My dog ate 1/2 of my cats methimazole that was crushed up in her wet food. she is a 10lb yorkie.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
7/9/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
What was the milligrams of the methimazole ?
it is a 5MG pill. she ate 1/2 of the pill created up in a tablespoon of we cat food
sorry that was- crushed up in a tablespoon of wet cat food.
Thank you,
While it is a drug rarely used in dogs, this is a safe dose for her size. So, we'd expect no serious adverse effects here. If anything, we could just see a bit of GI upset.
With that in mind, we have a few options here. If you wanted to err on the side of caution, you could induce vomiting and/or treat her with activated charcoal (just let me know if you wanted to discuss how to do this). But again since there is little risk of any issue, you can choose to just monitor her and offer some supportive care to reduce any GI upset should it arise.
To do so, you can consider offering a light diet option for a few days. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep her stomach settled.
Further to this, if she shows any nausea, we can also cover her with an antacid to keep her stomach settled. There are a number of antacids that are available over the counter and pet friendly. I would advise only treating with one, but the two I tend to use are :
*Pepcid (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/famotidine-pepcid/page1.aspx#.VGJLgsn9XPg)
*Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/ranitidine-hcl-zantac/page1.aspx)
These are usually given 20 minutes before offering food (to allow absorption) and of course you want to double check with your vet if your wee one has a pre-existing condition or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.
Overall, Molly's tablet stealing will not cause any severe harm. Therefore, we can intervene but do not really need to. So, if anything we'd just want to use some stomach supportive care if we see any bit of GI upset for her.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best, *****
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian