Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I have a 3 year old recently adopted and spayed in March

Customer Question
Hi, I have a 3 year...
I have a 3 year old recently adopted and spayed in March pit bull/Australian cattle dog mix. She was far along in pregnancy when they spayed her before adopting and was used as a breeding machine by looking at her huge droopy mammaries. I also have two male dogs both neutered young both around 3 and two foster females. The first dog I mentioned started about a week ago licking my male chihuahua dog's pee and chomping her her mouth like a male dog would if a female were in heat. I have never seen this behavior with the gender reversal. She does not lick his genitals and does not do it to my male Dobie nor my two foster females.
What could possibly be going on? I take them to the vet regularly. And they have both had blood work in the last few months.
Thanks,
Becca
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
7/9/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Hello, I'm Dr. Deb.
I recently came online and see that your question about Cupcake hasn't been answered. I'm so sorry that you've had to wait for a response, but if you still need assistance, I'd like to help if I can.
I know exactly the behavior you're talking about since I've had dogs in the past who've done exactly the same thing. I've not been entirely sure why the female would act this way and in the absence of any symptoms from the dog who's urinated, I've just chalked it up to one of those things that some dogs do and we don't understand why.
However, it's also possible that there's something going on with the male Chihuhua such as a urinary tract infection which Cupcake is detecting even though you may not see any blood in his urine or he may not be showing any signs of one.
Having a urinalysis checked might be something to consider.
Since Cupcake had puppies and one of the things doggie moms do is to stimulate their babies to urinate and then drink this urine, I suppose I could make a case that there's something about this particular dog's urine which is bringing back old memories. She wouldn't necessarily need to lick his genitals but perhaps the smell of his urine is triggering her maternal instincts to clean up after him.
If you have a urinalysis done and it's clean, then I probably wouldn't worry too much about Cupcake's behavior. I wouldn't consider it suggestive of an underlying health issue.
I hope this helps although, again, my apologies for the delayed reply. Deb
Thanks very much. I also suspect a UTI and the chihuahua has seemed a little off so I will take him in today. Thank you
Becca,
You're more than welcome.
And, best of luck with your Chihuahua if he does have a uti. Regards, Deb
Thank you Dr. Deb it's too bad this site falsely advertises that a veterinarian is "standing by" and online to answer questions. My vet is open now and I needed an answer last night when I paid, not today. The phone number on this site is continually busy and it's impossible to email and while the site reads chat is available, it is not. So while the site initial and falsely claims an answer will be available immediately, it is not and attempts to get in touch with anyone is futile. Your answer was fine but it came today, not last night. No vets are really online waiting to answer and the site uses false advertisement. I will make a report against the site, which has no bearing on your feedback which was fine but much too late.
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian