Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Dr. Aaron. Just reading some posts about dogs eating dish

Customer Question
Hi Dr. Aaron. Just reading...
Hi Dr. Aaron. Just reading some posts about dogs eating dish cloths. I think my 70 pound lab ate one today. He threw up approx 8 hours ago, I was at work and heard about it from the baby sitter when I got home. He seemed fine, except he had a minut or two when he seemed to be trying to chew at his hind quarters in a funny way. Then he threw up again a few minutes ago, this is when I realized he had eaten a cloth. There was a bit of s clump in the vomit, so i took a close look (yuck!) and saw tiny bits of coloured thread. It is quite late now and I am wondering if I need to make an emergency trip to the vet or is it safe to wait until morning to see if he makes his usual bowel movement then? Thanks in advance for your advice, Cheryl
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
7/9/2015
Dog Veterinarian: brisadog,
 replied 2 years ago
brisadog
Hi, I can help you with your question today. At this point where he has vomited twice without bringing up the entire towel, it seems likely that it has moved from his stomach into his intestines. Now begins the waiting game to see if it will pass on its own or if he may need surgery.
Dog Veterinarian: brisadog,
 replied 2 years ago
We need to watch him for signs of obstruction such as ongoing vomiting, lethargy, abdominal pain/restlessness. If you see any of this, he needs to be evaluated by a local vet immediately.
Dog Veterinarian: brisadog,
 replied 2 years ago
In the meantime, I recommend encouraging her to stay as well hydrated as possible. Offer dilute chicken broth or dilute water from a tuna can to make sure he continues to drink well. Please let me know if you have further questions. I am happy to continue until I provide the service that you seek.
brisadog
brisadog
brisadog