Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 18 years.
53976849

Need apain pill...besides Trammadolk(WILL NOT TAKE...can smell

Customer Question

need apain pill...besides Trammadolk(WILL NOT TAKE...can smell it even when combined with cheese, beef etc) She weighs 23 lbs is 13 and combination pug & Brussels Griffon.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!I am so sorry your dog is so sneaky about the tramadol! It definitely can be bitter but there are alternatives and if the tramadol is effective for her there are compounding companies that can make it a chewable treat versus a bitter pill if necessaryGabapentin- this is called neurontin in people and is also prescription. It works by dulling the nerve firing associated with pain and is my top choice for senior pets because it is not metabolized as readily by the liver and is easier on a senior pet. The pros are that it is not pricey, has no high end dose so if the pain escalates as your pet gets older we simply adjust the dose, and is easier on older pets. The cons is that it has to be given consistently because withdrawing it suddenly causes what is called rebound of pain which is higher then original level, can cause mild sedation initially. For a dog Nana's size it will need to be compounded which gives you the opportunity to flavor it into a chewable formula that is readily eaten or a liquid formula that can be made into a tasty supplement in the food (for example, chicken formula is the most readily available and tolerated).If you would like to minimize medications further then investigating alternative medicine: laser or light therapy, acupuncture, physical therapy, massage therapy. All are fantastic ways to help minimize pain, increase strength, and allow rest more comfortably. If there is a physical therapy facility in your area they would have all of these. Typically I will start with acupuncture and/ or laser therapy and then add in the physical therapy once we are more comfortable. I often see remarkable results with one to two sessionsI hope this information makes sense but please let me know how else I can assist you both today! If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!
Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!
If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!