Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My doberman was diagnosed with wobblers a few years ago. He

Customer Question

my doberman was diagnosed with wobblers a few years ago. He had surgery for bloat a little over a week ago and was doing well after surgery. But two days ago he was unable to stand up from his laying position. I helped him up, and he started yelping from pain when his right hind leg touched the ground (he was unable to put weight on it). My vet put him on prednisone, a muscle relaxer and tremadole. He did ok for a day, but now he is unable to stand up again and stats yelping in pain when he try to stand. He has been lying in the same spot for the last 11 hours.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
I am sorry to hear Driller has Wobblers, and also had to have bloat surgery. I am a veterinarian and will do my bes to help.
I just came online and saw your question. I am sorry you did not get help from an expert sooner.
This could be from the Wobblers, made worse by the stress of emergency surgery, or he may have developed a new problem in another part of his spine or hips or leg. Has your vet examined him and taken Xrays for this new problem?
If might add gabapentin to his medication to try to get him comfortable. This is a prescription medication.
If he has not been Xrayed for this new problem, that is what I would do if he were my own dog. I might even consider a consult with a veterinary neurologist.
Let me know how he is doing and what else I can help with or answer.