Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I have a dog that has been diagnosed with arthritis to the

Customer Question
spine...what human pain meds can...
I have a dog that has been diagnosed with arthritis to the spine...what human pain meds can be given?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
7/8/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Andy, Medical Director replied 2 years ago
Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Hello, Honestly, over the counter is not really suggested in this situation. A veterinarian can prescribe FAR BETTER anti-inflammatory and/or pain medications for a spine complications. That includes drugs like regular steroids (prednisone) or a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory like Rimadyl. Also, great pain drugs like Gabapentin or Tramadol. Over the counter. Well, I will mention aspirin below, but it is not very effective in this situation. The only over-the-counter non-steroidal anti-inflammatory I recommend in dogs (NOT CATS) is aspirin. Due to potential toxicity issues if not dosed correctly, many veterinarians do not consider Tylenol, Ibuprofen (Advil), and Aleve safe. You can give 10mg per pound of body weight up to every 12 hours. Just remember, there are different pill sizes for aspirin, so look to see if it is regular strength or maximum strength. Aspirin can be upsetting to the stomach, so discontinue if any digestive upset and definitely consult a vet if not helpful. If available, buffered aspirin, with the enteric coating, can help as well. Sometimes giving some Pepcid A.C. antacid 1 hour beforehand can be helpful.Pepcid A.C. (famotidine) comes in 10mg, 20mg, or 40mg tablets. You can give it every 12 hours. You can give 0.5mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get 10mg. ***Do not give aspirin or any other non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medication if your pet is already on prednisone or any other anti-inflammatory medication***Severe stomach and intestinal ulcers can result from giving a pet aspirin, tylenol or ibuprofen when they are also on medications like Rimadyl, Deramaxx, Prednisone, Metecam, Zubrin, and Previcox***Hope that information helps.Dr. Andy
Dr. Andy, Medical Director