Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My ”salchicha" dog has diarrea.Help. First aid help.

Customer Question

Submitted: 2 years ago via PetWave.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.
First, as I am sure you can appreciate, just like people, we can see diarrhea caused by a range of agents. Specifically, this includes bacterial infections, viruses, parasites, protozoa, toxins, foreign body ingestion, inflammatory bowel disease, and general dietary indiscretions. (Though in your lass’s case, toxins and foreign bodies are hopefully less likely since those would require urgent care).
Now with those all in mind, there are some supportive measures we can try here. To start, you can consider starting her on a light/easily digestible diet. Examples would be cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, or scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk). There are also veterinary prescription diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity). The aim of the easily digestible diet is that it will be better tolerated and absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. Also by feeding this in small frequent meals, it will reduce the stress on the gut and reduce diarrhea as well. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise that the diet be continued until the GI upset is settled, and that they are then slowly weaned back to their normal diet over a week.
Since diarrhea can quickly cause dehydration, we also need to keep an eye on her hydration. To make sure she isn't dehydrated there are a few things we can test. One is whether the eyes appear sunken, if the gums are tacky instead of wet/moist, and whether she has a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these parameters for dehydration, you can find a wee video on this HERE (http://www.ehow.com/video_12232503_dog-dehydrated.html). If you are seeing any signs of dehydration already, then you do want to have her seen by the vet before this becomes an additional issue (since it is often the dehydration that starts to tap their energy level, depresses them, and makes them feel weak and ill).
If you are concerned that she is becoming dehydrated, you can try and encourage her to drink by offering fresh water or even low-sodium chicken broth. Furthermore, you can offer rehydration solutions like Pedialyte. Pedialyte is nice (though aim for a flavorless one) because it will get some of those lost electrolytes back into her as well. Furthermore, a typical maintenance rate for hydration is 48mls per kilogram of weight a day. Of course, her requirement will be higher since we'd have to also consider how much fluid is being lost via her diarrhea and add that in to our total. And of course, if she were to vomit when you offered fluids via syringe, you would need to stop (since we'd not want to cause vomiting with our intervention).
Finally, there are some pet safe anti-diarrheals that can be used to slow the diarrhea. As I am sure you appreciate, these would not be a cure (since cures would depend on the culprit and might include antibiotics or anti-parasitics, etc.) but would slow the diarrhea to aid the body absorbing more water/nutrients. Furthermore, these treatments will coat the GI and could just settle the GI upset. In regards ***** ***** options for your wee one, the ones we most commonly use in dogs are:
*Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/kaolin-and-pectin-kapectolin-k-p/page1.aspx ) or
*PeptoBismol (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/bismuth-subsalicylate-pepto-bismol-kaopectate/page1.aspx#.VDp9WBZYxaQ )
Both are available from your local pharmacy. Furthermore, Fast Balance, Propectalin, and Protexin Pro-Fiber (which is available OTC at vets, pet stores, and even Amazon) would be another option. All will slow diarrhea and the last few have the bonus of providing support to the delicate good bacteria of the GI.
Overall, diarrhea can be triggered by a wide range of agents. Therefore, we'd want to consider supportive care to settle her stomach at this stage. If you try this over the next 12-24 hours and don't see improvement, then we'd want to consider getting her vet involved. They will be able to assess her hydration, make sure there are no sinister lumps or bumps or things that shouldn't be in her stomach. As well, you can also have them test a fecal sample to pinpoint the cause for her diarrhea, help you treat her effectively and get her back to feeling like herself.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Hi Miriam Martinez,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Babby. How is everything going?

nekovet