Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Vacationing in florida. My eight pound Maltese was

Customer Question
Hello. Vacationing in florida...
Hello. Vacationing in florida. My eight pound Maltese was just sitting outside on a high balcony (so no snakes) and has run inside without putting weight on hind leg. She is trembling and her leg has been twitching for almost a half hour. She is unable to get comfortable, even though i gave her a bit of pain medicine that I had on hand for dental pain. We have looked for glass, etc in her paw, but found nothing. Moving her leg joint/gently straightening her leg seems to give her pain. We just killed a bee in our home, and saw a spider on our balcony. Perhaps she was stung. Her behavior is so odd. Please help. Thank you. Ellen
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
7/8/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Ann M., Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Ann M.
Dr. Ann M., Dog Veterinarian
Hi there and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed, internship-trained veterinarian with 10 years experience in general medicine and emergency and critical care medicine and I would be happy to assist you. Please be patient as there may be slight delays in responses as I research your pet's issue.
What pain medication did you give, and how many milligrams of it did you give? When you say that the leg is twitching, do you mean trembling, or muscle tremors, or that she just keeps trying to kick the leg? Any swelling, or vomiting?
Hi Dr. Ann. I gave Gracie 6 mg of Carprofen. Just now she seems to be calming down some, but the leg continues to spasm. Maybe you would call it muscle tremors. No swelling or vomiting. She pulls legs away when we touch it gentle; even just move the fur to look around.
OK. You can actually give six more milligrams if you have it… Give 12 mg every 24 hours. I would try cold compresses with a bag of frozen vegetables wrapped in a thin cloth. That would help with a sting or reaction as well as if it is a fracture or a luxated patella. Then I would just rest her as much as possible and see a vet tomorrow morning if she is still having issues. If you have access to tramadol, you can give a quarter of a tablet right along with the carprofen, and that can help manage pain better.
I hope that I have answered your question thoroughly. If you still have questions, please reply. If you feel that I have provided anything less than excellent service, please reply to me first before rating my service and let me know how I can better assist you. Thank you for your question; it has been a pleasure being able to provide assistance. Best of luck.
Given that Gracie has not suffered any physical trauma (she doesn't jump on or off furniture), what would cause a fracture or a patella problem, please? She is sleeping now, and the leg spasms have abated. Should I hold off on more carprofen until needed?
Actually her leg continues to twitch.
If she doesn't jump, then fracture is unlikely. Locating patellas are genetic issues that may never cause a problem until one day when a dog runs funny or turns funny while walking or running and the kneecap pops out. It causes pain and lameness for several days when it does happen, and it is very common in small breed dogs. If she is sleeping, I would wait on more pain meds and see how she feels in the morning, even if her leg is still twitching. Take care.
Thanks. ***** ellen
You are most welcome. How's your dog doing this morning?
Dr. Ann M.
Dr. Ann M.
Dr. Ann M., Dog Veterinarian