Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I just got home from work and Yorkie is throwing up and bleeding

Customer Question
from anus. It also appears...
I just got home from work and Yorkie is throwing up and bleeding from anus. It also appears to be blood in the vomit.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
7/8/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that your pup is vomiting with blood in the vomitus and has bloody diarrhea.There are a few things that could have led to these symptoms.One would be an over-riding bacterial (salmonella for example) or viral enteritis that led to nausea, vomiting, hemorrhagic diarrhea, and can lead to possible septicemia, organ failure and death. Usually these dogs run a high fever and feel quite ill.Another possibility is a condition called hemorrhagic gastroenteritis. We see this more frequently in small dogs and it causes nausea, vomiting and jelly clot like profuse bloody diarrhea. It can quickly lead to dehydration and death if not treated very aggressively very quickly. Dogs can go from apparently healthy to extremely ill in a matter of hours. We aren't sure of the causative agent though we suspect a bacterial toxin may be involved.This seems to be the most likely scenario with your description so far.Ingestion of a foreign body that caused tears, or a blockage and rupture of her gastrointestinal tract is a possibility too, though the time frame seems a bit fast for that possibility if she was fine this morning.Finally exposure to a toxin, such as a rodenticide or an extremely caustic agent is possible. These could cause vomiting and uncontrolled internal bleeding.Ideally your little one should see a veterinarian on an emergency basis now. Please feel free to reply if you have any further questions, Dr. Kara.
Her vet opens at 8am eastern.
You think I can wait until then?
Whether she can wait or not depends upon her state of dehydration, amount of blood lost and how poorly she is feeling.If she is bright and alert her gums feel smooth, not sticky, and she has stopped vomiting she may be OK until morning.But if she is lethargic, she continues vomiting, has a tense abdomen with gentle pressure, her gums feel sticky and she has pale gums rather than a nice bubblegum pink color then I wouldn't wait until morning.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian