Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

Sick older dog-wants to drink water all day-won't eat today

Customer Question

sick older dog-wants to drink water all day-won't eat today and pooping bloody runs. this just started today. senior citizen with many dogs need help what can I do for her. she is a fixed 7-to 8 yr old 40 lb mixed breed stray I have had for the last 5 yrs
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you. 1- Is it fair to say she is drinking more than usual? 2- Any pre existing medical conditions? 3- Is she on any medications?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes much more than usual no meds no pre existing condition known
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Give me a few minutes while I type your answer.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
please there must be something I can do for her
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Friend, the bloody stool is a of inflammation in the colon (large intestines). This can be caused by either a primary problem in the gastrointestinal tract or secondary to a systemic disease. The fact that she is drinking more than usual we strongly need to consider a systemic disease. You see, when a dog drinks more than usual it is a sign of any of the following diseases: An active infection, hormonal disorders (diabetes), kidney or liver disease and even cancer to name a few causes. All of these diseases can cause her to have bloody diarrhea.Treatment for Lola will be based on identifying which of the above is the underlying cause. To determine which of the above is the underlying cause your family veterinarian will need to do some blood work (chemistry profile, T4 & CBC) and urinalysis as initial screening test; on history alone it will be impossible to determine the exact underlying cause. If cost is a concern I would look into your local ASPCA or Shelter where they often offer veterinary services at a lower cost. In the meantime this is what you can do: 1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. 2- Change her diet to rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%) until the stool is back to normal then wean her back into her regular diet. If possible blend the food and force feed her small amounts 4-6 times a day. 3- Supplement with a probiotic (fortiflora), these are friendly bacteria that help with regularity. You can buy this over the counter in any pet store.Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
she will not eat anything today-she was fine yesterday-ate normal-drank normal-normal stool and activity. How does this happen in one day? can she have brouth like chicken broth. should I stop her from drinking water or is that ok for her? Help help help
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Please answer-should she drink water? will this hurt her?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have other dogs could this be contagious/
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
She could have water as long as she is not vomiting. You can control her water intake by allowing her to drink every hour so.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
SHE IS VOMITING THE WATER but I don't want her to dehydrate either
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Depends on the underlying cause. If this is related to something like diabetes that would not be contagious. But, if it is an infection it can be contagious. For now until you know the exact underlying cause I would keep her apart from the other dogs.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
she wants more water will that hurt her further
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
will water hurt her?
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
If she is vomiting, this is what you can do: 1- Start her on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg 1/2 tablet every 12 hours for the next 2-3 days. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.2- No food or water for 3-4 hours. Need to give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest. 3- After 3-4 hours offer a small amount of water. Control her water intake by allow her to drink small amounts every hour or so. 4- If no vomiting after doing the above try feeding her small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Do not let her drink if she is vomiting; she will not absorb the water. Control the vomiting first as described above.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Hi Rena Hinson,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Lola. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter