Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My mastiff/bulldog mix has some sort of fluid pocket in the

Customer Question
flappy part of her ear...
My mastiff/bulldog mix has some sort of fluid pocket in the flappy part of her ear. There are no signs of a bite and there is no fever in it. She also doesn't seem to be favoring it or wince when I inspect it. Any idea of what it could be?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
7/7/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
Has Honey Bear been shaking her head at all recently?
Any signs of redness or discharge in her ear?
She hasn't been shaking her head no more than usual and there has been no discharge or discoloration.
Thank you,
Now the most common cause of a fluid pocket on the ear flap is actually a hematoma. This is a blood blister and tends to be due to our dogs catching their ears, shaking their heads too vigorously, or blunt force trauma to the ear. Now I am glad to hear that she isn't shaking her head nor has any signs of ear infection. If she did, we would need to treat that first. If that is not an issue and it has been a few days, you can consider having your vet drain her ear. They can drain this with a needle/syringe and inject any anti-inflammatory into the ear too soothe the area and prevent refilling.
For severe ear hematomas, we do sometimes need to surgically drain them and then stitch the ear skin to the underlying cartilage to ensure no recurrence and that straight healing is achieved. So, that would be our main treatment approaches.
Otherwise, if the swelling is very small at this point, you can choose to warm compress the ear to encourage the body to resorb the blood and serum within. Though if this is a severe swelling, do be warned that it can heal with wrinkles to the skin (which why severe ones are surgically treated to prevent this), so draining by her vet would be advisable if it still quite swollen.
All the best, *****
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. -**Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need, as this is how I am credited for helping you. ** Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian