Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My 7 month old pup won't bend his neck down to drink from his

Customer Question

My 7 month old pup won't bend his neck down to drink from his bowl, he has no problem bending it up to drink from the hose bib. He seems to be limping on his front legs and is not as active as he was a couple days ago. I think i felt swelling behind his head, where his neck meets his head, on both sides. Compared to his sister.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
Any history of traumas or falls?
Does he stumble or struggle with both forelegs?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No traumas or falls. Does the swelling sound familiar?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Hi again,
My concern with a swelling of this nature would be soft tissue inflammation or a hematoma from a traumatic injury or possible roughhousing with his sister. If that can be excluded, then we'd be concerned about a bacterial induce abscess. And I would note that this mass (no matter its nature) in this location could certainly cause his neck discomfort.
As well, my other concern in a young pup with reduced neck mobility and foreleg limping is that we could also have a viral, protozoal or bacterial meningitis in the brain. And if that was causing increased pressure on the brain, we could potentially see odd swelling at the skull base.
Therefore, with this all in mind, I would advise to tread with care. You can try warm compressing this area to reduce the swelling but if we do have a possible bacterial infection, it would be ideal to get this checked as soon as possible. That way his vet can rule out neurological/brain causes for the limping and get him onto some strong antibiotics and dog safe anti-inflammatories. The sooner we treat the more likely we can settle this and more importantly avoid any progression of his signs.
Overall, these would be our concerns for a swelling in this region and a pup with reduced neck mobility. And if he is getting quiet and this is lingering, it is a situation where we really do want to have this checked and treated to avoid complications for him.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best, *****
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Hi Ryan,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Ryan Pangelinan. How is everything going?

nekovet