Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog ate her wee wee pad on sturdy, she threw up and has

Customer Question
been eating and pooping. however...
my dog ate her wee wee pad on sturdy, she threw up and has been eating and pooping. however, her demeanor seems a little off.. should i be worried??
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
7/7/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.
Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner. If you would still like assistance, can you tell me:
How long ago did she eat this?
Did she chew it to pieces first?
Has she been showing any retching, gagging, lip licking, drooling, excessive grass eating, or vomiting?
Can she keep water down?
Are her gums nice and pink (not white/pale)? Moist or sticky?
If you press on her belly, does she have any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?
She has thrown up twice, is eating fine, drinking her water, gums look normal. She ate the pad on Saturday. No discomfort or pain in the abdomen.
Thank you,
First, I am very glad to hear that she is keeping food/water down, has good gum color (since pale gums would be a hint of GI damage and bleeding) and doesn't seem painful in her belly. And in that case, we can plan to monitor her closely and try some supportive care to encourage this to pass. Of course, if that changes at all, then we'd be in an urgent situation and would want her seen.
Now first I do just want to note the signs we need to monitor for as we encourage this wee pad to pass. Red flags of trouble or obstruction include restlessness, lethargy, vomiting with blood or coffee ground type material, inability to keep any food or water down, anorexia, pale gums, straining to pass feces or passage of black feces (digested blood). If you see these signs, then having her vet feel her belly +/- an xray to see where the pad is and whether it will pas on its own.
Otherwise, while monitoring we would want to start her on small meals of a light diet. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Whichever you choose to offer, you can continue to add your pumpkin (or use all-bran) to push this wee pad through the gut. Further to this, do plan to add a GI lubricant (ie cat hairball treatment, Miralax, lactulose or food grade mineral oil) to the food too. These can help get things moving for her and hopefully pass this without complications.
Overall, situations like these always require us to be on our toes and tread with care. Still, if she ate this Saturday and is showing none of those worrying signs, then we can use the above steps for her while keeping a close eye. And as long as she settles within the next 24 hours or so, then we can assume that she has digested or passed what she has eaten and consider her out of the woods.
In this situation, if at any stage you do wish to see an emergency vet, you can check @ http://www.vetlocator.com/.
All the best,
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian