Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I have a Yorkie Terrier. She has chaged in the past month.

Customer Question
I have a Yorkie Terrier...
I have a Yorkie Terrier. She has chaged in the past month. No longer is she playful with my husband or me. Nor will she sit with us? I don't know what has happened. We have been moving furniture, and painting some cabinets in the house. She is so unlike herself.
I had her at the Vet two weeks ago. She had a staph infection, which with a shot and special shampoo has completely cleared up. She just seems sullen. Still she is a yappie dog, and barks at everything. She can go in and out of the house to the enclosed backyard at will. Can you help????
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
7/7/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry to hear of this with your Yorkie and regret that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Such a change in behavior is usually a clue for a medical or psychological disorder. Other than the Staph infection which has cleared, I don't hear of any symptoms that might clarify an illness and so I'm concerned that a psychologic disorder has arisen and her behavior toward your husband may be a clue of that. She appears to be taking ownership of you and placing herself above your husband in the pecking order of your home. Household changes such as moving furniture and painting are known stimuli for inducing anxiety in our pets.
The standard manner in which to proceed is to have a thorough physical exam performed - it sounds as if at least her skin was examined two weeks ago - including blood and urine tests in an attempt to rule out a medical problem and if nothing untoward is found, address a behavioral disorder as determined by an animal behaviorist to whom you can be referred to by her vet or found here: www.dacvb.org.
Please respond with additional information - is she reluctant to jump up or down or navigate steps? Do you see a change in posture? Does she tremble/shake (pain responses)? Does she vocalize when approached? - and further questions or concerns if you wish.
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian