Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My Shih-Tzu scared of noises at night.. Friend said gives 15mg

Customer Question

My Shih-Tzu scared of noises at night.. Friend said gives 15mg Benadryl at nightso I can sleep.. Is that ok????
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!So sorry to hear your little Ushi is having issues with noises at night! I can definitely give you options to minimize this restlessness at night and allow you both to rest fitfully but if there is no change I would advise discussing with your veterinarian medications that can help with this such as alprazolam (xanax, CLICK HERE)- Rescue Remedy which is an over the counter calming agent for stress in people and pets. It is available at your local human vitamin store but you can also purchase it on-line. CLICK HERE- Benadryl 1 mg/ pound every 6-8 hours to allow her (and you) to rest more comfortably- A thunder shirt which often can be helpful with this type of fear. It is available on-line (CLICK HERE)- A nice long walk before bed to reduce anxious energy and hopefully help allow a more fitful sleep. Not a slow walk but fast paced at least 20+ minutes before bed. This can be used with any of the above.I hope this information helps but please let me know how else I can assist you both today! If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!
I am signing off tonight but will check in tomorrow to see if you have responded with any additional questions or concerns.
If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!