Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I have a 5 yr old hound akita hound that has been kicking

Customer Question
hi I have a 5...
hi I have a 5 yr old hound akita hound that has been kicking his an us and is showing little drips of red blood from it
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
7/7/2015
Dog Veterinarian: brisadog,
 replied 2 years ago
brisadog
Hi, I can help you with your question. It looks like the doctor that you originally requested is offline, and your question was just unlocked by an administrator.
Dog Veterinarian: brisadog,
 replied 2 years ago
We can see blood coming from this area for multiple reasons - anal gland abscesses, perianal fistulas, or a tumor. I do not think this is likely related to intestinal parasites. I recommend having him evaluated by your local vet. I would start with a physical and a rectal exam. An anal gland abscess would be the easiest to treat - these are generally resolved with about 10-14 days of an oral antibiotic and some pain medication. Please let me know if you have further questions. I am happy to continue until I provide the service that you seek.
Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian