Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My 35 lbs Australian Shepard ate one advil should I be wo

Customer Question
My 35 lbs Australian Shepard...
My 35 lbs Australian Shepard ate one advil should I be worried?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
7/6/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Rosie_MRCVS, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Rosie_MRCVS
Rosie_MRCVS, Dog Veterinarian
Hi I'm Rosie one of the vets and I'd like to try and help you. What size (in mg) advil did she eat? Thank you.
0ne 200mg tablet I had him vomit within half an hour he had full stomach from breakfast
Thank you for the extra information there - that really helps. Whilst the 200mg is an overdose for a dog of his size, as you made him vomit within half an hour the tablet should be out of his system before he could absorb any of it. If you can get any it would be worthwhile getting some liquid charcoal on board - it should be available over the counter at pharmacies and vets (if any are open). This basically acts as an absorbant - if there was any advil left in his system after you made him vomit it will stick to the liquid charcoal and not be absorbed into him, if that makes sense. For a dog of that size you would need to get about 25lms of liquid charcoal into him, and I would definitely do it outside as it can be extremely messy! It will also turn his faeces black, so don't worry when this happens. I would also get some zantac on board - again this is available over the counter as a human medication. This is because sometimes advil can cause stomach ulcers and this is an added layer of protection. Like I said, I don't think you need to worry as you were prompt in making him sick, but if I saw him in clinic this is what I would prescribe as a safety net. For a dog his size you would need to give him one 75mg tablet twice daily (about twelve hours apart) for the next ten days. I would couple this with feeding some bland food for the next three days. I really don't think you need to worry, but I think the medications described above would be a good idea. I hope I've helped - if you have any questions from this then just get back to me. Otherwise, if you have found this useful, please leave a positive rating so that i may be compensated for my time. Thank you, ***** ***** luck, Rosie.
Hi Erik,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Lucky. How is everything going?

Rosie_MRCVS
Rosie_MRCVS
Rosie_MRCVS
Rosie_MRCVS, Dog Veterinarian