Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Good morning. My nearly 8 yr old eng bulldog ate a packet of

Customer Question
peanut butter /chocolate Oreo cookies...
Good morning. My nearly 8 yr old eng bulldog ate a packet of peanut butter /chocolate Oreo cookies. She weigh app 50lbs. Diarrhea, no hyperactivity or any other symptoms I've read. Sleeping , but frankly that's pretty normal. Very gassy
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
7/6/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
How long ago did she eat these?
How big a packet was it?
Sometime early this mornin, maybe 5-6am. 12 oz packet
Thank you,
Now thankfully there is very little chocolate (or cocoa powder) in Oreos. As well, with Maxine being a larger dog, we would need quite a significant dose of chocolate to cause those severe toxicity signs you have read about. Therefore, in her case, we would consider this a low risk of toxicity. Of course, as she has also had an overindulgence of peanut butter, we wouldn't be alarmed to see diarrhea but also GI upset (ie vomiting, appetite loss).
Now at this stage, since it has been a good few hours since she ate these, we would be more inclined to use supportive care at this stage. First, if you wanted to err on the side of caution, you can consider administering activated charcoal at this stage. This is available over the counter from the pharmacy (ask for the high strength version, not the one for gas) and works by binding any remaining material in the stomach. For activated charcoal, we tend to give 1-4 grams per pound every 8 hrs. This can be mixed with food to be fed or with water to syringe feed (do note that it stains, so keep it away from white carpets/clothes). This will just limit how much she absorbs and reduce the intoxication risk here.
Otherwise, our main focus with this situation would be symptomatic/supportive care. Therefore, to offset GI upset and diarrhea, you may just want to offer a light diet option for the next few days. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). These can be fed as small frequent meals and after a few days she can be slowly weaned back to her own diet.
Further to this, if you did see any hints of nausea, then we can also cover her with an antacid to keep her stomach as settled as possible. There are a number of antacids that are available over the counter and pet friendly. I would advise only treating with one, but the ones I tend to use are:
* Pepcid (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/famotidine-pepcid/page1.aspx#.VGJLgsn9XPg) or
* Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/ranitidine-hcl-zantac/page1.aspx)
* Tagamet (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet)
These are usually given 20 minutes before offering food (to allow absorption) and of course you want to double check with your vet if your wee one has a pre-existing condition or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.
Overall, I would not be worried about chocolate toxicity with your lass at this stage. Instead, I would just be wary of GI upset secondary to helping herself to a package of cookies not intended for dogs. So, I would just advise the above at this stage (and just to note the activated charcoal would reduce the gas as well) to soothe her stomach and offset any upset from this wee misadventure.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
So just to be sure I understand charcoal dosage- she'd get like 50 g every 8hours?
Hi again,
As we are using it for toxin binding, that would be the minimum dose that we'd give for her size.
All the best,
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian