Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

I have an eleventh month old yorkie which came in heat when

Customer Question

I have an eleventh month old yorkie which came in heat when I was dealing with my sister' s illness and death. It has been a few weeks now ,but her vagina is still swollen and her tits are enlarged now to the point that they are not flat anymore . I know I am worried, first time if she is to be having babies and yes she was with another yorkie. Both are Akc reg. I also adopted another one that was no use to the lady since the female could not make her anymore money with pups. She was a young dog that had trouble and now she is my laplady..lol I hope I don't sound crazy but I have never had females before,, Thanks for your expertise ! Rhonda
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 2 years ago.
Hello Rhonda, I'm Dr. Deb. I'll do my best to help you today.
You don't sound crazy at all and your concern about Sasha is understandable if you're not familiar with unspayed female dogs.
I'm also sorry about your sister but it's also understandable why you might have been preoccupied at the time when Sasha came into heat.
There are several possible explanations for her continued enlarged vulva and mammary glands:
1. This could be normal since the hormones produced during her heat cycle will cause these changes. The glands don't return to pre-heat size nor does the vulva.
2. She could be pregnant depending on when she was actually in heat. The gestation time for a canine is about 63-65 days, give or take a few days.
Palpation of the uterus can be done at 30 days although ultrasound is a better tool to use to determine pregnancy.
3. She could be going through a false pregnancy which is exactly what it sounds like. These dogs go through all the physical changes of pregnancy and yet they don't produce puppies.
At this point, it's going to be difficult to know exactly what's going on with her body since you say there was an intact male around when she was in heat.
Of course, not all mating (if it occurred) will result in puppies so even if they did get together, it's not a foregone conclusion that she is pregnant.
I hope this helps to address your concerns about her. Deb
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 2 years ago.
Hi Rhonda,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Sasha. How is everything going?

Dr. Deb