Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Brown tear stains under eyes of bichon. he is 15 y.o. and has chronic…

Customer Question
brown tear stains under eyes...
brown tear stains under eyes of bichon. he is 15 y.o. and has chronic kidney disease, treated. He develops blebs of brown stuff in corners of eyes. once in a while has a clear drop of mucous come from nose
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
7/6/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Camille-Mod,
 replied 2 years ago
Camille-Mod
Hello, I'm Camille and I’m a moderator for this topic. We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit. I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from one of our Experts? Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question. Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Pet to Legal. Thank you, Camille~Moderator
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. The stains are due to porphyrins - chemical dyes which are present in tears and saliva. The collection of "brown stuff" is usually mainly mucus but may contain pus and cellular debris.
The goal is to find out why excessive tearing (epiphora) and mucus formation is occurring. Once that's determined and treated successfully, further staining should abate. A careful exam of his eyes for anatomical defects - lid deformities, misplaced eyelashes - an allergic or infectious conjunctivitis, keratoconjunctivitis sicca ("dry eyes"/inability to form enough tears), or deeper disorders more common at his advanced age - glaucoma, e.g. - is indicated.
Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian