Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
14018973

I have a bishon/shitzue mix.He is 11 years old. When I got

Customer Question

I have a bishon/shitzue mix.He is 11 years old. When I got him at 10 weeks, had the vet give him a full exam. He had a fatty tumor on his chest, the vet mentioned that we could have it surgery to remove it, but it was tested and non cancerous. But in 11 years it has gotten pretty big. It does not bother him at all. In the past couple of months he has about a golf ball size protrusion on the back of his right rear leg. When I push on it he does not react. His behavior has remained the same.I am out of work with very little money, but it does concerns me
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 2 years ago.
Welcome. I'm Dr. Bruce and I've been a small animal veterinarian for over 15 years. Thank you for your question about Payton. I'm sorry to hear about your employment situation and the constraints on finances. In this economy that is something that is getting more frequent. That tumor on the chest that has gotten bigger and bigger sounds like the progression of a lipoma. The tumors of the fat cells (lipomas) can definitely get very large. They typically will grow in size throughout a dogs life. On my own personal dog, she had one in her armpit that grew very much like what you're seeing on Payton. I recently removed the one on my dog as it was getting close to causing issues with mobility. Most lipomas are cosmetic issues, but if they get so big in certain areas (arm pits, groin region), they can restrict mobility. This second growth on the back of the right leg, it is good that he's not bothered by it. Could it be another fatty growth? Could it be a cyst like lesion. At this time, more concerning signs for it would be if it was painful to the touch, oozing, or bleeding. As long as it isn't growing quickly or having the other things going on with it, it doesn't sound that alarming. Of course when your situation is back on track, it would be good to have your vet check it over by aspirating it with a needle to more specifically determine what it is. I'm hoping for the best for you and Payton at this time. Please hit reply to let me know what questions this brings up.