Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

I have an older pug I rescued. He. Has a past history of heartworm.

Customer Question

I have an older pug I rescued. He. Has a past history of heartworm. Last few days or so he has been having difficulty breathing coughing up white foamy fleem. Tonight he appears to be worse than.normal.thought it may just be a summer cold but now I am getting more concerned since a previous pug does from cingestivebheart fsilure. Is this something I should seek immediate medical attention for or could I wait until tomorrow or Monday to see vet
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
He seems like he is larger maybe swollen some. He won't lay down even though he appears very tired. He just sits until until he almost falls over then wakes up really fast
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 years ago.
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Yes, Buster's history and current presentation should prompt immediate attention by a vet. Dogs that can't lie down are already suffocating and lying down compromises their already compromised lungfields further. I suspect that his past heartworms have damaged his heart and you're seeing another Pug with CHF. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It would have been nice to have the question answered faster as I was scared therefore I went on to emergency vet because I didn't receive the response until hours later. I didnt feel comfortable waiting any longer for an answer. I thought this was supposed to be for situations that the see would answer much faster. There were 28 vets online at that time. It would have been great if not for reponse time.
I understand. I answered as soon as I arose at 6:11 AM. I don't know why other experts didn't respond earlier. Perhaps***@******.*** can explain what happened.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I would like to request a refund since I don't get the response in a timely manner. I went on and took him to 24 hour emergency vet. I was so scared. I understand how things can happen and thank you for responding when you did. Hopefully next time will work out better. Thank you for your time and help and I'm sure I will be needing more reassurance in the time to come with Busters chf treatment.
Please contact***@******.*** who will help you in that regard. I'd be pleased to continue consulting with you if need be. You can always find me by typing "for Dr. Michael Salkin, only" as the first few words of your question.
No need to reply at this time.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your help. I apologize if I seemed a little harsh and will be sure to look you up next time I need a question answered. I appreciate you taking the time to let me know why it took longer than expected and how to find out what I could do. Thank you again.