brisadog
brisadog,
Experience:  dasdasd
25524280

Have dura pen 300,000 u /ml have a dog about 60lbs. Oozing

Customer Question

Have dura pen 300,000 u /ml have a dog about 60lbs. Oozing site hole. Drng with blood and pus. Subq how much vet closed for holiday
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  brisadog replied 2 years ago.
Hi, I can help you with your question today.
Expert:  brisadog replied 2 years ago.
For a 60 lb dog, you can give 3.6ml of Durapen. This should last until you can get him seen by your local vet. Please let me know if you have further questions. I am happy to continue until I provide the service that you seek.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Do I give the shot IM or subq. Do just once between now and Monday? Is it that strong? For the sub q behind the neck pad correct
Expert:  brisadog replied 2 years ago.
Give the injection IM. Yes, just once until Monday. Durapen is a combination of two different forms of penicillin, one is penicillin G benzathine which lasts up to 5 full days.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Where IM. What gauge needle and what length is needed.
Expert:  brisadog replied 2 years ago.
Use a 22g 3/4 inch needle on your syringe. I prefer to use the large epaxial muscles along the spine for injecting, but I would recommend using the caudal thigh for the inexperienced. The semimembranosus/semitendinosus muscles (hamstrings) are generally of good size and easy to locate. The only concern is avoiding the sciatic nerve. For this reason, it is best to keep the injection as far back on the muscle as possible. Here is a picture to illustrate where the nerve runs: