Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

My dog is about 8 years old and is fixed. Nuetering was done

Customer Question

My dog is about 8 years old and is fixed. Nuetering was done about a year ago when he developed a problem with rapid enlargement of the prostate that was associated with an infection. He has been fine since until recently. In a very short time less than a day he went from happy and playing to in pain. he has trouble standing and when he is up has trouble laying back down. He is not eating but is drinking a lot and urinates whenever we can get him outside. There is nd increasing amount of swelling in the genital area taht began around the empty testicle sack and is now progressing forward to the penile area. What are the possible causes and is this an emergency? Thanks for any advice you can provide.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 years ago.
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. My primary concern is that the prostate harbored a malignancy that has slowly spread into the genital areas or a new cancer such as mast cell disease has appeared. The genital form of mastocytosis can be quite aggressive and behave as you've described. I can't rule out simple trauma to that sensitive area but there should be a history of such trauma or the possibility of envenomation by a flying insect, spider, scorpion, or snake. Aspirin is reasonable at a dose of 10 mg/lb with food twice daily but unless the swelling abates as quickly as it arose - which would suggest an allergic reaction such as envenomation - Jasper's vet will need to take a close look at that area to better clarify what's going on. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.