Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

I have a 4 month old Greater Swiss Mountain Dog. Last night

Customer Question

I have a 4 month old Greater Swiss Mountain Dog. Last night was the first night that she was whincing and rest less all night long. She seems to be having difficulty getting comfortable, meaning she lays down then whines then gets up after 30-60 seconds and moves to another spot. She has been doing this since 1am. She still has her appetite and I have not noticed anything different in her bowel movements.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Deb.
I recently came online and see that your question about Roxy hasn't been answered. I'm so sorry that you've had to wait for a response, but if you still need assistance, I'd like to help if I can.
I'm quite familiar with this breed since I've owned, bred and showed Swissies for about 20 years now. This isn't to say that Roxy's behavior is unique to this breed, but just that I know them pretty well...and there's not anything much cuter than a swissy pup at this age:)
Her behavior sounds consistent with pain although trying to identify the source of this pain may be something of a challenge.
1. She could be going through what's known as growing pains or Panosteitis especially if she appears to be lame or limping on one particular leg.
This can be quite a painful condition although the degree of pain can vary from one individual to the next.
2. Some sort of muscle or joint pain is also possible although it's often difficult to localize such a problem when you feel around on her body.
If either one of the above problems may be present, then over the counter Aspirin can be given as long as she's not vomiting and not currently taking any nsaids or steroids. The dose would be 10 mg per pound of body weight twice a day, with food to avoid stomach upset.
My only hesitation about its use would be that it might interfere with what your vet would want to prescribe if she needs to be seen but several doses should be fine (and may bring much needed relief).
3. Her abdomen is another possible source of her discomfort; for example, dogs can develop gas which can be quite painful for them as well as for humans.
If you think that this might be the problem, then anti-gas products containing Simethicone (such as Gas-X or Phazyme) can be given. The dose is somewhat empiric but about 1/4-1/2 of what we would take.
I hope this helps and that you see improvement soon. Again, my apologies for the delayed reply. Deb
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 2 years ago.
Hello again,
I'm just following up about Roxy. How is she doing? Deb