Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Puppy of 5 months old received his shots last week-end. The

Customer Question

Puppy of 5 months old received his shots last week-end. The last 2 days he has had diarrhea and very lathargic. What should I feed him and is there anything I can give him.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
Now just like people, when pups can have diarrhea like this it can be caused by a range of agents. These include bacterial viral, parasitic (worms but also protozoa like Giardia, Coccidia), toxins (hopefully less likely here), nutritional, and general dietary indiscretions type causes. And I would note that if Cooper was just vaccinated a week ago, it is possible that that has distracted immune system long enough to allow a diarrhea bug to gain a foot hold.
In regards ***** ***** at this stage, we'd want to start by taking some supportive care steps to slow and settle his diarrhea. First, you can try a light/easily digestible diet. Rice is good but consider feeding it with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, cottage cheese, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). There are also veterinary prescription diets that can be used in cases of gastroenteritis (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity). The easily digestible diet will be better tolerated and absorbed by the compromised gut and should get some nutrients in and result in less diarrhea. Also feed this as small frequent meals to further decrease the volume of diarrhea he is producing. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise that the diet be continued until the diarrhea is settled, and that they are then slowly weaned back to their normal diet over a week.
If isn't up to date on worming, it would be prudent to cover your bases and at least rule out the GI worms that could be initiating GI irritation. To treat worms, you can buy worming products over the counter at your local vet or pet stores. There are a range on the market, but you want to use a good quality wormer that covers both round worms and tapeworms. In this situation, it would be ideal for you to treat with Panacur, Drontal, or Milbemax as it will cover all the worms in question. Do make sure to have an idea of his weight before purchase wormer to ensure you get the correct dose for his size.
Since he is a little one and diarrhea can dehydrate a pup quite quickly, we do need to keep an eye on his drinking and hydration. To check Cooper's hydration status to make sure they are not becoming dehydrated there are a few things we can test. One is whether the eyes appear sunken, if the gums are tacky instead of wet/moist, and whether he has a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these parameters for dehydration, you can find a wee video on this HERE (http://www.ehow.com/video_12232503_dog-dehydrated.ml). If you are seeing any signs of dehydration already, then you do want to have him seen by the vet before makes him feel poorly. (since it is often the dehydration that starts to tap their energy level and actually makes them feel ill)
If you were concerned that he was becoming dehydrated, you can try and encourage him to drink but offering fresh water or even low-sodium chicken broth. If he isn’t amenable to these, you can syringe feed pedialyte. Pedialyte is nice (though aim for a flavorless one) because it will get some of those lost electrolytes back into him as well. A typical maintenance rate for hydration in an animal is 48mls per kilogram of weight a day. If you do give syringe pedialyte, this should obviously be divided up into multiple offerings through the day rather then all at once. This value will give you the total he needs for the day and is a good starting point to give you an idea of a dog's daily requirement. (we aren’t calculating losses, so you can add an equivalent volume to match how much diarrhea is being producing). If he vomit when you have given pedialyte, then therapy should be discontinued (since we don’t want vomiting because of our intervention).
Further to this, as long as you have not seen blood in his stools, you can consider trying him today on a dog safe anti-diarrheals. As I am sure you appreciate, these would not be a cure if his diarrhea is being caused by an infectious agent. Still it can slow the diarrhea to aid the body to absorb more water/nutrients then it would have if the diarrhea were unchecked. Furthermore, these treatments will coat the GI and could just settle the GI upset.
In regards ***** ***** options for your wee one, the one we most commonly use in dogs is Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/kaolin-and-pectin-kapectolin-k-p/page1.aspx) or PeptoBismol (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/bismuth-subsalicylate-pepto-bismol-kaopectate/page1.aspx ) available from your local pharmacy. Furthermore, Propectalin, Fast Balance, or Protexin Pro-Fiber (which are all available OTC at vets, pet stores, and even Amazon) would be another option. All will slow diarrhea and these last few have the bonus of providing support to the delicate good bacteria of the GI. So, you can consider trying these as a short term means of trying to soothe his upset GI.
Overall, there can be many triggers for diarrhea of this nature. Since he is young (and doesn't have the reserves of an adult) we do need to be proactive in trying to settle this form him . Therefore, do try the above supportive measures for him . If he has just had a wee dietary indiscretion, these steps should settle this for him. But if you do so but his signs do not settle over the holiday weekend, then it would be worth following up with his vet. You can even consider having them submit a fresh fecal sample to the lab to be checked for common parasitic, protozoal and bacterial causes of diarrhea. And if this is a bacterial or protozoal complaint, knowing what the causative agent is will help you treat it effectively and clear this abnormal stool to get Cooper back to passing normal feces.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )