Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My wife broke her leg and has a walker and one of those scooters.

Customer Question
Now my 8 year old...
My wife broke her leg and has a walker and one of those scooters. Now my 8 year old mini Schnowzer has gone from a very happy out going playfully dog to a dog that won't leave my side she does not stop shaking, and will not leave my side and is not eating as regularly as she did. 1 other thing this morning she went to the bathroom in the hose something she has not done since she was a puppy. Any ideas what's going on and how I can help her?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
7/4/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Hello, I am sorry to hear you are worried about Zoe. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help. It sounds like the scooter and the walker have confused and frightened her. I just recently saw a dog with a similar problem; the wife had to use a walker and it terrified the dog. We did things like having her be the only one to feed the dog, while using the walker, and to practice basic obedience with the dog, for treats, from the walker. We eventually put the dog on prescription anti anxiety drugs as well. All of this helped some, and now that she is no longer having to use the walker, her dog is back to normal. So I would try having all Zoe's food come from your wife, and doing basic commands for treats and food, to try to desensitize Zoe to the walker and scooter. If this is not enough, your veterinarian may be able to prescribe anti anxiety meds.
Let me know what other questions you have.
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian