Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My 50lb, 6 month old lab just ate about 8 coldeeze throat medicine

Customer Question
lozenges. What should I do?...
My 50lb, 6 month old lab just ate about 8 coldeeze throat medicine lozenges. What should I do?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
7/4/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
How long ago did he have these?
I'm not sure. I've been at work for the last 8 hours. I just got home
Thank you,
Now since he only had 8 (which translates to 106.4 mg of zinc), this is quite a low dose for his size. In fact, the toxic zinc level for a 50lb dog would be ~1600 mg. Therefore, even though we don't know when he had these, the risk of harm is low. If anything, we could see some self limiting GI upset with vomiting and diarrhea.
Therefore, all we'd need to do here is offset any stomach upset for him. To do so, you can consider offering a light diet option for a few days. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep his stomach settled.
Further to this, we can also cover him with an antacid to keep his stomach as settled as possible. There are a number of antacids that are available over the counter and pet friendly. I would advise only treating with one, but the two I tend to use are:
* Pepcid (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/famotidine-pepcid/page1.aspx#.VGJLgsn9XPg) or
* Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/ranitidine-hcl-zantac/page1.aspx)
These are usually given 20 minutes before offering food (to allow absorption) and of course you want to double check with your vet if your wee one has a pre-existing condition or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.
Overall, this is a small dose for his size. Therefore, we'd not be overly worried and would just use the above to keep his stomach settled at this stage.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
? Anything
I answered your 4 minutes ago.
Just in case you cannot see what I posted above, I will repost it now -->
I hope this information is helpful.
All the best,
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian