Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM
27344366

Why is my dog spastically licking and biting her side spastically,

Customer Question

Why is my dog spastically licking and biting her side spastically, flipping around continuously to get to her side and panting heavily? She can not be still. This has been going on for 8 hours. I gave her 50 Mg.of Benadryl & it didn't help. I can't see anything on her skin where she's biting. She is miserable.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr B replied 2 years ago.
Hi this is DR J and I would be happy to help you with this. There are many reasons a dog could do this but one of the most common reasons is fleas. The confusing part is that certain dogs only have to have one flea for this to happen. So I would get a flea comb and see if you can find evidence of fleas. Look for live fleas and you may find one ,or you may just find flea dirt which is dark little specks of black looking dirt. Comb around the rear and head and neck and roll your dog over and look on her belly carefully.Another possible cause is that she has developed an allergy to a food or she may have an environmental allergy. This will require a vet to look at her and carefully rule out different causes. If she is still biting herself after giving benedryl then she will likely need a short course of a steroid to help get her comfortable and removal of the underlying cause.I do hope this helps you and let me know if you need anything else as I will be checking my computer again tonight.Most Sincerely, DRJ