Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog may have drank cherry juice early this after. He seems

My dog may have drank cherry juice early this after. He seems fine, but did not eat his dinner. Should I be concerned?

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

First, I would note that cherry juice is no risk to our dogs. It is the stones in the fruit that can cause trouble when ingested. In this case, if Bryn has refused food, it may be that the juice has given him a bit of stomach upset (since its not a natural part of the dog diet). Therefore, I would suggest that you can rest his stomach for a few hours and then offer a light diet. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep his stomach settled.

Further to this, if he seems to have a very upset stomach, we can also cover him with an antacid. There are a number of antacids that are available over the counter and pet friendly. I would advise only treating with one, but the two I tend to use are Pepcid (More Info/Dose) or Zantac (More Info/Dose). These are usually given 20 minutes before offering food (to allow absorption) and of course you want to double check with your vet if your wee one has a pre-existing condition or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.

Overall, there is no toxicity risk here but it is possible that the juice has upset Bryn's stomach. Therefore, I would just advise the above and monitoring to address this for him.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Hi Beth,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Bryn. How is everything going?
Customer
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi! Bryn's doing great! He was fine by the following morning. Ate all of his breakfast. Thank you for easing my mind in the middle of the night.

You are very welcome and thank you for the update, Beth.

I am glad to hear all is well and that Bryn is back to normal himself. Smile

All the best & have a great day,

Dr. B.