Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My dog has been diagnosed with potentially having laryngeal

Customer Question

My dog has been diagnosed with potentially having laryngeal paralysis and was given an antibiotic to take for 10 days. She is a 12 year old lab also undergoing Kinavet chemo for mast cell tumors she's had for the past 5yrs or so. I was told if this antibiotic doesn't cure her in the next week or so there is most likely nothing more that can be done because of her age and medical history no surgeon would operate. Is this true?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I am sorry to hear your dog may have laryngeal paralysis. I am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help. The only real cure for this condition is surgery, and most dogs with "lar par" are older dogs. Age is not a disease, and does not affect anesthesia. If blood tests show good liver and kidney function, and a consult with a surgeon that does the procedure is positive, then it is for you to decide if you want surgery. If you decide surgery is not for you and for Maggie Mae, then you can try steroids. I have had dogs managed for awhile with lar par on prednisone.