My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.
Rubbing the throat of a dog experiencing tracheal collapse has been found to lessen the severity and length of an incident, so I'm glad you already do that. Other things that can help are raising the food and water bowl so your dog doesn't have to lower her head to eat or drink. Many owners will install a fountain or water bottle so the dog can drink easier. If drinking causes a problem, ice chips can be used to help prevent the dog from feeling like they are choking when they drink.
If your dog is overweight, you should get her weight down as that can contribute to incidents occurring. Your vet can prescribe anti-inflammatory medications to help keep swelling from irriation of the trachea down. Cough medicine is also used to help control symptoms and sedate your dog as well.
A bronchodilator might be used. Definitely switch her to a harness and keep exercise at a minimum. If possible keep her in a cool environment and her excitement levels down to reduce incidents.
Here is a site that discusses the condition.
You can also check with the following organizations to see if they can help you financially be able to afford surgery if your vet feels she would survive surgery.
1. The Big Hearts Fund: http://bigheartsfund.org/
4. The Dog And Cat Cancer Fund: http://www.dccfund.org/
5. Frankie's Friends: http://www.frankiesfriends.com/
6. Handicapped Pets Foundation: http://hpets.org/
9. The Mosby Foundation: http://themosbyfoundation.org/
10. The Onyx and Breezy Foundation: http://www.onyxandbreezy.org/
4 A Cure: http://www.paws4acure.org/
12. The Pet Fund: http://thepetfund.com/
13. Pets-DC: http://www.petsdc.org/
14. Shakespeare Animal Fund: http://www.shakespeareanimalfund.org/
This site may have additional resources as well.
These vets may offer a free initial visit though you may have to pay for extra procedures and medications. See the next one for the coupons.
I hope this information is helpful to you. If you need more information or clarification, please reply and I'll get back to you as soon as possible. If you are satisfied, please take the opportunity to rate.