Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

Type your Dog Veterinary question here My 12 week old labradoodle

Customer Question

Type your Dog Veterinary question here
My 12 week old labradoodle was accidentally changed to a new brand off puppy food. I guess I grabbed a similar grain free bag at petsmart while in a hurry. She now has diarrhea. Being 12 week old what are my options to give her? ***@******.***
Can she be given pepto now or some drug and also put her on a bland rice diet while introducing food back in slowly??
Thank you your advice is greatly appreciated
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. Friend, certainly the new diet could be the cause of the diarrhea. Other possible causes are: Ingestion of a foreign body, infections, intestinal parasites, etc. to name a few causes. This is what you can do:1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium.2- No food or water for 4-6 hours, need to give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest. Then, offer small amount of water followed by a diet of rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%) until the stool is back to normal then wean her back into her regular diet. 3- Supplement with a probiotic (fortiflora), these are friendly bacterias that help with regularity. You can buy this over the counter in any pet store. 4- If after doing the above you do not see improvement within 24 hours I would have her checked by your family veterinarian for a hands on examination. Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Ellie Belle. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter