Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog has a tic on his heel that is bloody ! this was after…

Customer Question
my dog has a tic...
my dog has a tic on his heel that is bloody !
this was after he returned from the dog parlour!
what shall i do?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
7/3/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
When did you put the tick treatment on? What did you use?
Does this tick look brown or grey? Can you see its legs and a dark head on it?
Can you take a photo of this? If you can do so and post them online, this will let me see what you are seeing. To post them, you can either use the wee paper clip on the tool bar above your text box. Or if you cannot see that on your computer/phone, then you can post them on an alternative site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, imgur, etc) and paste the web link here for me to check.
i used advantix that i usually use every few months as he was due for the next, at the back of neck ( sachet of drops)
it looks "deflated " as i guess the dog parlour damaged it trimming his fur
they couldnt remove it as its on hes heel
Hello again,
I have to say that if he was treated with Advantix and we have an unremovable tick, then I would question whether this is a tick at all. It is not uncommon for small warts or lumps to be mistaken for ticks and therefore not removable when one tries. This is especially suspicious here since you noted that it was bloody. This is because if it had been a real tick that was difficult to remove, the head would have separated from the body (leaving us with a tick mouth part in his skin to cause infection) instead or leading to blood being leaked here. And this is why I requested a photo, as this just doesn't add up.
In any case, if you have spoke to the groomers and they claim its a tick they cannot remove, then I would suggest ringing your local vet to have them see this. Most practices will allow you to book in to see the nurse if a tick is suspect and they can remove it if it is or advise you on whether it is something else. And if it is a wart or growth, then it may just need some salt water bathing to help it heal without getting infected.
Otherwise, if you are keen to remove this at home, I would strongly advise using a special tick remover (ie O'Tom) from your local pet store or vets. The reason is because as I noted above removing ticks is rarely difficult but removing all the tick (and not leaving the mouth/head) can be. So, we need to be careful and not just pull them off. In any case, if you would like to see how we remove ticks from dogs, you can see a good wee video HERE (http://www.otom.com/how-to-remove-a-tick)
Overall, based on what you have told me, I would question if this was a tick at all and then why it wasn't removed by the groomer if it was. So, if you are sure it is, then you can remove it as per the video above. But if there is any doubt, it'd be ideal to have this checked +/- removed at your vets to make sure it is done properly to avoid any infection.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best, *****
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )