Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Accidently gave my dog my matrix pill in lieu of her normal

Customer Question

accidently gave my dog my matrix pill in lieu of her normal med. both in silver wrap. done last night but thought she would be ok. she is whining and still breathing rapidly. wills he be ok or should I take her to an animal hospital>
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
What is the active ingredient in the pill?
What is the milligrams/strength?
How much does she weigh?
How many hours ago was this given?
Can you take a breathing rate for me (just count her breaths for 10 seconds + multiply by 6)?
Are her gums pink or pale/white?
If you press on her belly, is she tender or tense?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
she weighs 15 lbs and it was given 10 hours ago.
hard to count, but around 17x6 =102I am trying to find out about the pill. it is actually my spouses so I am texting for info
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you,
If you can check that for me, that'd be grand (since there tend to be a range of Maxi Matrix tablets).
As well, do let me know what her gum color looks like and if she has any belly tenderness.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
pill was an imitrex pill for migranes, 100mg/Sumitresgums are pink and belly is not tender
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you,
Now the problem here is that this is not a drug that we use in veterinary medicine with dogs and therefore there are no safe doses established. As well, this is quite a large dose for a dog this small and therefore the risk of adverse effects was quite high. Now if it has been this long post ingestion, we are in the period of adverse effects and this is why she is so agitated and breathing so abnormally (since a resting breathing rate should be ~20-30bpm).
In regards ***** ***** effects, this is what we call Seratonin syndrome. It is characterized by agitation, vocalization, and restlessness. Other signs that this drug can trigger include changes to breathing patterns, redness of the limps, tremors, paralysis, wobbliness, dilated pupils, and seizures.
In this case, with so much time passed, we will be limited in what can be done at home. All that you can really do would be to keep her calm in a dimly lit room to try to get her to settle while this passes through her system. That said, with her severe elevation of her breathing rate and severe agitation, I do feel it'd be ideal to have her seen at this stage. Her local vet can get her onto IV fluids to flush this drug out quicker (usually it does take 12-24 hours to fully pass through their system). They can also start her on a low dose of sedation to help relax and calm her through this situation.
Overall, this is not a drug we use in dogs and it is a high dose for her size. Therefore, her signs are not unexpected but if she is severely affected it would be best to have her seen at this point so that symptomatic care can be administered to help flush this out faster and get her feeling back to normal.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best, *****
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

nekovet