Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a 16 yr old rat terrier who just recently developed…

Customer Question
I have a 16 yr...
I have a 16 yr old rat terrier who just recently developed a cist behind her left shoulder. Last night it ruptured and I took her to the vet this morning who cleaned it and gave her an antibiotic injection as well as gave me some antibiotic pills. When I got home tonight it appeared to be weeping a little bit. Is this ok / normal? Anything I should do besides clean it with soap and water and maybe some peroxide? Thanks
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
7/3/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Hello and welcome, Just to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next fifteen minutes or so.We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }Regards,Dr Scott
Hello again and thanks for waiting. I have worked out an answer for you below ... 1. Cysts can be messy but in most cases they are benign so the chances are that Peewee is not at any serious risk. However once a cyst has ruptured it is very normal that you may see a little bit of weeping and discharge for a few days. My usual advice to the clients at my clinic was to thoroughly wash the area of the cyst with luke warm salt water twice a day for three or four days. That plus the antibiotics should take care of things ... I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you. Regards, ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Thank you very much Dr. Scott. I appreciate your feedback. She also has cognitive canine syndrome my vet said. I mentioned to him she circles a lot. He stated this becomes common in smaller dogs and reach her age. Thank you again
Hello again , Just a short note to thank you very much for the good rating, this is very much appreciated, at sixteen it is nor surprising that she has some degree of cognitive impairment but clearly you are looking after her very well. I should be available online today for at least the next three or four hours so please do not hesitate get straight back to me if your dog's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further. Kindest regards, *****
Hello again,
I am just checking back in to see how Peewee is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the ruptured cyst.
How are things going?
Regards,
Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you { Using the site rating system }, such feedback really helps me maintain the quality of my answers.