Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog keep hacking like he try to more something out his

Customer Question
throat...
my dog keep hacking like he try to more something out his throat
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
7/3/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Gene, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Gene
Dr. Gene, Veterinarian
Hi there! Thanks for your question.I need a bit more information to get you the help you need.1. How old is your dog?2. How long has this been going on?3. What breed is he?4. When does he cough the most, during the day, at night, while running around?5. Is there anything coming out of his mouth after his coughs?
Customerhi my dog is 5yrs old he has ben doing this for about two weeks. He is a laspoo he eat and drinks ok. But today we were walking and he was moving slow and making that sound. He do it in the day time don't hear it at night nothing out his mouth or nose. sounds like he trying to get something out
Got it, thank you!This sounds like a cough, the gagging sound is likely from the mucus as it gets coughed up from the lungs, causing a bit of a choking as it comes up.Most common/likely causes of cough vary based on age and breed of a dog. Small breed dogs typically cough because of either:1. Infection (bacterial or viral), usually called "kennel cough"2. Heart disease (fluid accumulating in the lungs or enlarged heart compressing the airways)3. Collapsing trachea (weak windpipe)4. Chronic bronchitis (kind of like asthma in people)5. Inhalation of foreign material which becomes lodged in the airwaysAs you can imagine, treatment varies quite a bit depending on what the cause is. Considering it's been about 2 weeks already, I would have him evaluated by your vet sometime in the next few days so that you could determine what the problem is and begin treatment if necessary. It's unlikely that the problem will get better on its's own at this point nor is there something effective and safe that you can do at home. The most important thing is to make sure it's not heart disease or something else more serious. Hopefully, this is a mild infection which could be treated easily with antibiotics...Hope this helps! Please let me know if you have any other questions!
Hi there! Just following up to see how things are going. Please let me know if you have had any additional questions come up!
Dr. Gene
Dr. Gene
Dr. Gene, Veterinarian