Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My name is ***** ***** Great Dane ate a whole tube of diaper…

Customer Question
Hi my name is *****...
Hi my name is ***** ***** Great Dane ate a whole tube of diaper rash cream and is vomiting all over the house
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
7/2/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 3 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Hello, I am afraid that the expert you have requested is not currently available. Still I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
How long ago did she eat this?
How much was in the tube?
What was the ingredients and/or brand?
Did she eat any of the tube as well?
How much does she weigh?
Can she keep water down?
She ate it sometime after 330am. She ate the full tube of equate diaper reach cream the only thing left on the floor was half of the chewed up tube. She is 155 lbs. I have cleaned up vomit from one end of the house to the other. Not sure about water
Thank you,
Now her size/weight works in our favor. The reason is because zinc oxide can be toxic to our dogs. Still, at this dose/strength, we'd be most concerned about the GI upset (vomiting, diarrhea, appetite loss, etc) that this can cause and not the more serious toxic issues (ie anemia, breathing elevation, paling of gums, collapse). Of course, while those more worrisome signs are not an issue, we do have to be wary if half the tube was also eaten (as a possible blockage).
In this situation, we would want to start some supportive care for her. Being able to do so at home will completely depend upon how nauseous she is. If she can keep water down, then we can try to treat at home. If she is too nauseous to take anything by mouth, then we'd need to consider having her vet bypass her mouth and start her on anti-vomiting medication by injection.
Now with all this in mind, you can try her with an oral antacid. There are a number of antacids that are available over the counter and pet friendly. I would advise only treating with one, but the two I tend to recommend are:
* Pepcid (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/famotidine-pepcid/page1.aspx#.VGJLgsn9XPg) or
* Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/ranitidine-hcl-zantac/page1.aspx)
We tend to give these 30 minutes before offering food to give it time to be absorbed. And again if she cannot keep this down, that will be a red flag that injectable treatment would be best at this point.
If she can keep that down and settles for you, then you can then tempt her with a small volume (a tablespoon worth to start) of a light/easily digestible diet. Examples of this would be rice or pasta with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk), cottage cheese, meat baby food (do avoid the ones with garlic powder in the ingredients) or there are also veterinary prescription diets that can be used in cases of gastroenteritis (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity). Now if she can keep the small amount, she can have a bit more after 30 minutes. And as she keeps it down, she can have a bit more and so on. The aim of these light diets is that they are easy on the compromised GI and tend to be better tolerated. This means less vomiting but also increased nutrient uptake.
Whichever diet you choose to use, I would also suggest adding some fiber to it. You can do so by mixing in a spoonful of tinned pumpkin or all bran. The aim of these is that they will bulk up feces to safely reduce diarrhea but to also push the plastic from the tube through her GI.
Finally, I do want to note some signs to monitor for because of this missing plastic from the tube. If you see any restlessness, lethargy, belly pain, paling gums, straining to pass stool, vomiting with blood or coffee ground like material or black feces; then we'd need to have her checked by the local vet +/- xray'd to make sure nothing is stuck.
Overall, this dose of zinc is likely only to cause the GI upset you are seeing. So, we want to take the above approach to address that for her. Of course, at the same time, we need to monitor over the next 48 hours for any signs of the plastic causing bother. But if we can settle her at this stage, we can hopefully get those bits passed without trouble.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )