Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Puppy is 8weeks old what shots does he need and what flea treatment

Customer Question
on him he is a...
puppy is 8weeks old what shots does he need and what flea treatment on him he is a baby pit
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
7/2/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
First, if Dozer is 8 weeks old, he is getting to an age where he can safely use most of our spot on flea treatments. That said, if we have a choice, I would note that Advantage Multi (Advocate) is a very good option for pups. The reason is because it will cover for fleas but also GI worms, lungworm, mites, and lice. So, it can be used monthly for both fleas and worms while he is young (since we worm monthly until 6 months of age). Of course, if he was very small (<1kg), you can use the spray version of Frontline. In fact, that preparation can actually be used from 2 days of age in pups.
Otherwise, if he is 8 weeks now and has only had the Parvo vaccine, then he will be ready to start his core vaccination. This is the DHLPP or DA2PP vaccine. This is what we consider a "core" vaccination and protects dogs against parvovirus, distemper, adenovirus, and parainfluenza. When this is administered, it is often given at the same time as vaccination against Leptospirosis (a bacteria that causes kidney failure in dogs as well as people). He should have his first one of these at this stage and then follow up with his next one in 2-4 weeks time. And if you are in an urban area where Parvo is rife (ie California), the we do often repeat the vaccination a 3rd time 2-4 weeks later to ensure they have optimum protection from these nasty pathogens. Finally, after that, they only need a annual booster to keep them protected.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best, *****
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Hi Nichole,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Dozer. How is everything going?

nekovet
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian