Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

What can I give my dog ? He just strained his ank

Customer Question
What can I give my...
What can I give my dog for pain? He just strained his ankle.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
7/2/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Andy, Medical Director replied 3 years ago
Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Hello, I am sorry to hear about this concern. The only over-the-counter non-steroidal anti-inflammatory I recommend in dogs (NOT CATS) is aspirin. Due to potential toxicity issues if not dosed correctly, many veterinarians do not consider Tylenol, Ibuprofen (Advil), and Aleve safe. You can give 10mg per pound of body weight up to every 12 hours. Just remember, there are different pill sizes for aspirin, so look to see if it is regular strength or maximum strength. Aspirin can be upsetting to the stomach, so discontinue if any digestive upset and definitely consult a vet if not helpful. If available, buffered aspirin, with the enteric coating, can help as well. Sometimes giving some Pepcid A.C. antacid 1 hour beforehand can be helpful.Pepcid A.C. (famotidine) comes in 10mg, 20mg, or 40mg tablets. You can give it every 12 hours. You can give 0.5mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get 10mg. ***Do not give aspirin or any other non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medication if your pet is already on prednisone or any other anti-inflammatory medication***Severe stomach and intestinal ulcers can result from giving a pet aspirin, tylenol or ibuprofen when they are also on medications like Rimadyl, Deramaxx, Prednisone, Metecam, Zubrin, and Previcox***Remember, aspirin is not really effective, and we don't know the extent of the injury. So, try to get to a vet ASAP.Good Luck!Dr. Andy
Hi Patti,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Fred. How is everything going?